Mainframe DASD Backups
Full volume backups and incremental backups are performed regularly on all data that resides in data center managed pools, i.e. all volumes except dedicated volumes. (Dedicated volumes are assigned and billed to a customer who is responsible for all storage management activities for that volume.) All backups are written to our virtual tape system and replicated to the corresponding DR campus (Gold Camp to Vacaville and Vacaville to Gold Camp).
Incremental Backups are performed by a software product called Hierarchical Storage Manager (HSM), and are done at the dataset level. These are logical backups of the datasets that are newly created or have changed since they were last backed up. All datasets in the general pools are backed up by HSM.
- Frequency: datasets are backed up late in the evening on the day they are created or modified, every single day of the year.
- Retention: the seven latest versions of a dataset are retained for a maximum of 30 days. If a dataset is deleted, the last backup copy is retained for 90 days.
- Off-site Storage: all backups are replicated to our opposite campus using our Virtual Tape System (VTS) for the defined retention period.
- Exceptions: datasets that are in use at the time of the backups are skipped and NOT backed up.
- Restore: customers can do their own restores via the HRECOVER panel. If additional help is needed, please initiate an Incident ticket using the OTech Remedy tool, or contact the OTech Service Desk at (916) 464-4311